Been there, done that. Mostly on lainchan IRC two years ago. I saw many people being there for many reasons, here's what I saw. University is a job where it's easy to get employed and pays in papers and peers and credits. (After some time, you get to play around with cool stuff you don't exactly own and might get some opportunity to do stuff you like.)
There are only a few things that will actually get you through university:
- you want a degree.
- you want good grades and you kinda want to beat the competition
- it's so worthless you can pass without caring
That's it. Now let's talk about some other things that may come in handy, but won't actually get you through.
- you are smart, clever, intelligent, and information sticks to you. these won't get you out of bed, practice the boring parts, or attend class.
- you are interested in the field. this likely means you already know things, things that are interesting for you - which means they're more boring in class. things that you aren't interested in are even more boring in class. chances are you'll neglect the boring stuff in favor of something that won't get you grades
- you aced high school and everyone is going - that's like committing suicide because everyone else does, and you have even better ways to do so.
- early bird gets the worm, you can go free if you sign up now! - unless this cheers you up and fills you with energy every single day, it's not gonna mean anything by october. life is not an mmorpg, you can't grind here.
- cool people, cool gadgets, cool parties -these are all nice bonuses to your life, but they don't motivate you to study, do homework and assignments. if you are one of those "been depressed for years" types, it likely won't help either.
- away from your tormenting christian parents, you're asian and must bring honor to famiry, you were kicked out at 18, etc. sure it's nice to be away from any of this, but it won't do assignments and homework.
- you watched all the hacker movies and serieses and want to be a lisp wizard. you want to be the doctor who saves lives. your favorite little pony is purple and smart and you want to be like that. in this case you like the image of a person, and you want to be the image; you might find that things look quite different from inside, and will lose the appeal.
I'm mostly guilty of the first and the last, with hints of the second and the third.