[ art / civ / cult / cyb / diy / drg / feels / layer / lit / λ / q / r / sci / sec / tech / w / zzz ] archive provided by lainchan.jp

lainchan archive - /feels/ - 9687



File: 1485085713888.png (1.6 MB, 300x188, Beauty.jpg)

No.9687

Does anyone here feel like being a shut-in or hermit is the best decision they've made? Other than going to work and a grocery store, I haven't seen another human in three months. It's wonderful.

Anyone have any hermit feels to share?

  No.9691

I envy you, I usually have to change stores when the clerks start recognizing me.

  No.9692

File: 1485091429319.png (198.85 KB, 173x200, 1481326274034.jpg)

It was a decision for you? I did it without realizing, a direct consequence of my social habits. In retrospect, I wouldn't have chose this, it just happened.
>I never asked for this

  No.9693

Is this bait? You're not a shutin.

  No.9694

>>9687
I am 23, working a very productive job, and I am set to buy a house in about 2 years or so.

I am single and never even been with a woman, so no kids either. My closest friends have married, had children, and they never talk to me any more. I wake up, go to work, come home, and repeat.

This sounds like a miserable existence but it is also an incredibly simple one as well, and that's why I continue with it.

  No.9698

File: 1485099815238.png (102.81 KB, 200x200, amd tan.jpg)

If by hermit you mean shutting all contacts besides what's really necessary, then I've been onto it for about 3 years now.

>>9694
I'm almost on the same boat, I'm 21 working on a good job, income is getting better and I'm on the last semester for my graduation, I just don't know what to do next too, besides sitting on this job and gradually getting better I have no plans at all.

It got worse after I've been doing home office for a month, I really feel bad and need to go back at least to get to work and come back home.

No women, no kids, no close friends, no ambitions.

  No.9699

Jesus Christ, guys.
I would totally understand temporarily becoming a hermit for some kind of study, or even permanently for religious reasons, but this just sounds like the most pathetic, miserable stuff out there.

  No.9700

>>9693
I don't think that you have to be NEET misusing social system to be a shut-in.

  No.9703

>>9699
>Understandable, because of religious reasons
xD
How is this more justified, if it's dictated by religion, this is a thing i can't comprehend. Religions are soykaf anyway

  No.9704

>>9703
I'm not religious, but it's a respectable reason.
You're doing something for a specific purpose.
Let's be real here. Most people who becomes hermits or shut-ins are one or more of these:
- Lazy
- Unmotivated
- Socially awkward
- Loser

Even if we were to assume no god form exists, the religious hermit at least does what he does with a higher purpose in mind, even though that higher being doesn't exist.

  No.9705

Weird choice you've made for your identity. I'll never describe myself as a shut-in or hermit but I do mostly stay in my room and I haven't had a meatspace friend since I was in middle school (I'm 19 now) and I've never had a girlfriend. It's not a decision I made, it's merely how I am. And I do enjoy it compared to being social since I easily get drained from too much interaction.

My primary means of social interaction is Lainchan and IRC, both are very comfortable.

  No.9707

I'm pretty much a shut in. I only interact with my parents and rarely do I go out and that's just to buy grocieries.
I am okay with it, I really don't like or miss social life. I do have an online friend with whom I often talk about the stuff that's on my mind.
I'd love to live a life kind of like in OP's pic, all by my own with my own time and in contact with nature. Perhaps near a town to get supplies. However I don't know how I'd manage to survive (food?) if I were completely by my own.
I'd like to not have any internet too, a life in the woods, fishing and doing small jobs (like perhaps repairing stuff or carpentry) for supplies.

  No.9709

>>9704
Objectivly there is no such thing as higher reason. Someone could become a hermit and close all relationships just because it makes him calm and he doesn't need to be constantly worried about maintaining all those contacts with others. Or he could do this because he is convinced that this is the way his life should be and finds society not very interesting. How is this different than doing something because some god told you to do it?

If you want to really be honest we shoud also admit that all those religious fanatics who can't find themselves in the world are also usually strange, socially awkward and very often they are loosers and because of that they turn into religion- so someone or something coud tell them: do this or do that and your life will have meaning and value.

The guys who choose to leave society at least can admit in front of themselves that they don't fit and are better alone. The ones who have as you call it "respectable reason" can't event do that and chose to believe that something higher is leading them. It doesn't really matter at this point if god exists or not because they don't do that because they want to, they do that because the god or the teachings or some kind of clerics told them that it's a noble thing to do.

  No.9710

>>9699
I'll tell you what's more miserable
live your whole life trying to be validated by others.
Not being able to be alone with your thoughts
Always needing the company of others because feel inadequate by yourself.

  No.9711

>>9709
I dunno dude, that assumes a religious person who was commanded to go into the woods. There are other reasons, like meditating and trying to connect with something more transcendent than society life offers.

  No.9712

File: 1485121754728.png (63.11 KB, 200x149, sandworm.gif)

When I'm not at work, at the grocery store, at the dentist, walking past the neighbours or having the weekly phone call or occasional visit from my mom, I have zero contact with other people. I don't have any friends, no online contacts, no chatroom or anything that I frequent, nothing. If I didn't have to go to work and had unlimited food I could go months without seeing anybody.

It's not something that I consciously chose, but I couldn't imagine it being different at this point and I can't imagine it ever changing to be honest.

It's very simple and I don't have the obligations that everybody else seems to have, but sometimes I wish I had one small group of regular contacts, even if it's only online.

  No.9713

File: 1485121944077.png (184.92 KB, 200x129, ronnies_great_outdoors_adventure.jpg)

I'm something like the pic below. Frankly, I just enjoy hanging out with other people online (chat/voice/games) and consequently almost never go out for anything other than errands. What I don't understand though is the people who make it a major part of their identity.

It seems like a lot of the anons here are in a similar boat, so I'll ask what do you guys think of travel?

  No.9714

File: 1485122255626.png (46.67 KB, 151x200, 1269703_f520.jpg)

>>9712
you don't sound very happy

  No.9715

>>9711
You've got some point here but those kind of people I would call spiritual rather than religious but that's the topic for another discussion so I don't want to go this way.

However I still can't see how meditating and connecting with something bigger is better than just feeling good with being alone and off the society. It's not like this guy knows for sure that there is something transcedent. He believes it and thinks that this belief and idea is more valuable than socialising. The same way hermits like OP and others believe that sitting at home and doing whatever they are doing: studying, learning, tinkering, reading books or just lying in bed and watching the ceiling is better than spending time with people.

The real problem is when you are alone and not happy about that but for some reason you stay that way. That's the time when visiting a specialist should be considered.

Don't call someone a looser just because he prefers to live differently than you.

  No.9724


  No.9726

>>9713
I'd like to go to Japan but I'll never afford it.

  No.9733

File: 1485180678243.png (70.36 KB, 200x132, antisocial nekopara.jpg)

>>9699
Not having to deal with a ton of bullsoykaf, force yourself to things you dislike due to companions or taking social obligations is great.

  No.9735

I sometimes wish I could become a hermit but it doesn't seem financially viable and I'd probably regret eventually.

  No.9749

>>9710
And who was arguing for that?
Strawman.

>>9715
While a 'hermit' doesn't necessarily have to be a loser, chances are, he is.

>>9733
>Not having to deal with life is great

>>9709
>all those religious fanatics who can't find themselves in the world are also usually strange
>who can't find themselves in the world
Well yeah, there you have another group than I intended.
What I meant by religious hermits are people who function perfectly well in society without any problems, but choose to become hermits for religious reasons.
The people who "can't find themselves in the world" are precisely the people I mean when I speak negatively of hermits, because it's not much more than fleeing from life.

>The guys who choose to leave society

That's assuming it's choice. If someone becomes a hermit by choice while not fleeing life that's perfectly respectable (hence my understanding the person who studies or the religious individual). In most cases, however, that isn't the case, and the individual doesn't become a shut-in by choice, but it just happens as a form of retreat from society because that person fits one of those categories I mentioned earlier on.

Proof is in this thread:
>It was a decision for you? I did it without realizing, a direct consequence of my social habits. In retrospect, I wouldn't have chose this, it just happened.
> It's not a decision I made, it's merely how I am
> It's not something that I consciously chose

The point is:

Leaving society is fine. (conscious choice, responsible)
The religious person does this, or the academic.

Fleeing from society is pathetic and miserable. (just happens, irresponsible)
The lazy, socially awkward loser does this.

  No.9750

No
I'm so lonely
I don't know how anyone could enjoy this

  No.9751

The only time I interact with people is at university. Even when I go to the shop I use self-service. The rest of the time I just spend at home listening to music and doing things I enjoy.

If I could live at home without ever having to leave I would be perfectly happy with my life. I'm not scared to talk to people and if someone wants to talk with me I won't be ignorant and ignore it but I am most happy at home.

  No.9753

>>9715
>While a 'hermit' doesn't necessarily have to be a loser, chances are, he is.

I'm pretty sure this is one of those things where correlation != causation. Because hermitry/hermitude/however the fuarrrk you conjugate that and such like isolation exists as a default sort of "base" state of being you get a large population that is isolated but doesn't want to be, thereby projecting a stereotype on all those that *choose* to be.

In a sense, it's a lot like extreme asceticism.

  No.9755

>>9699
>>9704
There's so much to write about from these posts it's rather tough to even begin.

You're writing that becoming hermit seems like one of the most miserable things out there and that people are becoming one because they're probably - Lazy/Unmotivated/Socially awkward/Losers, in which case I don't really understand what you're actually trying to say. You think that becoming hermits is miserable, but also seem to acknowledge that people that become hermits are ones that are living terribly already and don't find satisfaction in the outside world, you know, socially awkward lazy losers, so I don't understand why would you think that becoming hermits would be something pathetic for these people?

They are according to you people that got beat up by the world already and it doesn't work for them, but when they just understand their possition and stop doing something that doesn't work for them, becuase they are socially awkward losers, they're still pathetic for doing so and their reasons aren't respectable?

I'd say that pathetic would be for them to keep bashing their heads against the wall when it obviously isn't working for them. Maybe reapproach their way of life, try to find solace.

Or maybe you think that everyone can make it? That you just need to be yourself, just go talk to people and get some confidence? Because world just doesn't work that way, not everyone is of the same ilk, not everyone thinks the same, has same desires, mannerism, look, style, mind. Some people are just weird for others, they like things other people find creepy, they express themselves in a way others find repulsive and asking them to comfort to these norms, to change who they are, what they do and what they enjoy to stop being losers wouldn't make them happy either. They'd be just putting on fake mask and pretend to be someone else to appease others, while being even more miserable than before.

Simply painting everyone with such a simple brush isn't going to work. Some people will become losers, bottom of the societal ladder, outcasts and there's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with spending all your free time at home, doing stuff you enjoy. You might just need to be a slightly more open-minded person.

  No.9757

File: 1485268443632-0.png (1.42 MB, 200x200, Book Four (Liber ABA).pdf)

File: 1485268443632-1.png (1.34 MB, 200x200, walden5.pdf)

Aleister Crowley notes in Book 4 that Jesus, Mohammad, Moses, St. Paul, Lao Tzu and Buddha all disappeared, then came back with knowledge, power, enlightenment.

Mas Oyama trained up a mountain for three years, and came back with a style that revolutionised karate.

Henry David Thoreau for two years lived, if not as a hermit, then certainly isolated and simply.

  No.9758

Schizoid, nice to not meet you.

  No.9759

Yet here you are on the internet engaging in human interaction. Im not quite getting what this whole hermitism actually just being a loser argument is all about, but none of you here are doing a very good job at fighting those arguments. The internet is an inferior place to share experiences at the moment. That probably isnt why you chose to use the internet over communicating in real life, I imagine as new technology and video games and what not make sharing online experiences more genuine you all will continue to use them. What im seeing here is a bunch of people who clearly want to communicate but are too scared or anxious to do it in real life. The people who are scared to experience human interaction value it the most, hence why they are so afraid to mess it up rather than pretending they dont want it as a front.

The people who value human interaction the least aren't hermits. And historically most people didn't "chose" to be a hermit unless it was maybe to study or pursue some sort of inner growth. You guys are just doing it to avoid people primarily, any learning you are doing is just a side effect.

  No.9760

I still need human contact but as I get older, people drift apart and it's become impossible to meet new ones. No one is interested and I don't find them interesting either. It's not that I don't want friends nor is it elitism. I just haven't connected with anyone in a long time and none of the old things I ever enjoyed are enjoyable now which makes socializing impossible. No I dont "need a new hobby" either. Nothing intetests me.

Most people establish either a family or a permanent group of friends by a certain age. I lost my friends one by one, mostly because they are scattered geographically. I spent my life traveling and no longer have the energy for it. I don't like being a hermit and whatever advice you're about to stuff down my throat will be things I used to be able to do without help, all of which don't work anymore.

  No.9761

>>9759
There still exist different forms of interaction between people on very different levels and there's difference between talking with people and actually being sociable.

  No.9762

>>9755
>You're writing that becoming hermit seems like one of the most miserable things out there

Nope.
It's all about the motivation/reason for becoming one.

I would suggest you read >>9749
I clarify my point there.

>Simply painting everyone with such a simple brush isn't going to work.


I made a clear distinction in that post as well.

>Some people will become losers, bottom of the societal ladder, outcasts and there's nothing wrong with that


That's such a weak mentality. While it is true that there will always be a section of the population which fits one of those descriptions, being content with being at the bottom or being a loser is utterly pathetic. Every individual should strive to always improve.

>You might just need to be a slightly more open-minded person.

This is very often a useless phrase. Most of the time it doesn't really indicate an individual isn't open minded, but that the person saying it simply doesn't agree.
You may well disagree with what I say, but I would suggest refraining from throwing out such meaningless phrases.

>>9759
>What im seeing here is a bunch of people who clearly want to communicate but are too scared or anxious to do it in real life. The people who are scared to experience human interaction value it the most, hence why they are so afraid to mess it up rather than pretending they dont want it as a front.

I'm glad to see this.
I want to see strength and confidence, but I mostly see pathetic weakness.
I have nothing against the hermit. I have everything against weakness.
It's just an unfortunate fact that individuals far too often become hermits out of weakness.

>>9760
Assuming you have a job/are studying or are just being part of society in some way, I wouldn't call you a hermit just because you're losing contact with people. Just sounds like you and your peers are growing up. People tend to drift apart in that phase.

  No.9763

>>9762
There always will be people at the bottom is the society, you know, because there always has to be a bottom? It's really inevitable, the questions is about how to make the best out of it and hermiting seems like a reasonable choice for at least some of the people involved. Some people also just don't attract others by any way and the people they attract are not ones they want to associate with for example, there are too many cases and scenarios to consider, but it's rather assured some people will find themselves in situtation, where their circumstace will lead them to hermit life.

And even if one didn't choose to become a hermit, nor would they choose to be one if they had the choice, that's implying that it would've been possible for them to just overcome whatever problems they had, it's not like everyone can become a hermit in general, if you became one the chances are that there are deep problems in your life anyway and even if you wanted to not end up like that it's not something that would've been necessarily avoidable.

And what I refered to open minded is the impression that you seemed to think that people cannot be contempt with being hermit and wouldn't find being one more pleasureable over being outgoing, which I did find rather close-minded, meaning that you did not consider obvious options due to incapability of leaving your own perspective.

  No.9767

>>9761
Thats pretty much what I said. If you enjoy talking to people but arent sociable that just means you dont have the aptitude to get what you want. You arent a hermit the internet just provides an easy way to fill your need to communicate without ever making you push yourself outside your comfort zone the way actual communication might.

  No.9768

>>9767
Maybe, but that's probably just scraping it. What I had in mind is that you might enjoy speaking with some people on some topics, maybe you enjoy some scientific discussion, maybe some philosophical concepts, maybe you want to discuss some game you've played or some book you've read, you like talking with people, but you don't want to be sociable, you don't want to talk about how your day was, what the other person had for lunch, maybe you don't care what your conversation partner's family is like or what their favorite shoe brand is. Maybe you aren't sociable, maybe you don't care for associating with people on personal level and prefer to keep your conversations anonymous and strictly about content, not about personality.

  No.9772

>>9762
>Assuming you have a job/are studying or are just being part of society in some way, I wouldn't call you a hermit

:( There is nothing happening in my life and there is nothing that interests me. People in my peer group are immersed in all the pointless nonsense I never wanted in my life and there is no one left that I can relate to. It'd be easier if I had never done anything interesting with my youth and early adulthood because the truth is I actually miss the feeling of giving a goddamn about the world around me and yet paradoxically am incapable of experiencing it anymore. Everyone feels like this at some point and my brother says I'm in a "rut". Ruts end, this doesn't. Feels permanent now.

  No.9773

>>9762
>There always will be people at the bottom is the society, you know, because there always has to be a bottom? It's really inevitable

Did you even read my post?
> While it is true that there will always be a section of the population which fits one of those descriptions,

>>9763
>if you became one the chances are that there are deep problems in your life anyway

Here you are starting to near what I've been saying.
I'll refer you to my previous post again:>>9749
>The point is:
>Leaving society is fine. (conscious choice, responsible)
>The religious person does this, or the academic.

>Fleeing from society is pathetic and miserable. (just happens, irresponsible)

>The lazy, socially awkward loser does this.

Back to your post
>and even if you wanted to not end up like that it's not something that would've been necessarily avoidable.

Defeatism.

>And what I refered to open minded is the impression that you seemed to think that people cannot be contempt with being hermit and wouldn't find being one more pleasureable over being outgoing,


I think you meant content? (autocorrect?) (Assuming so for now.)
Two points:
- This isn't a matter of whether or not someone can be content with being a hermit
- We're not discussing introverts vs outroverts or more inward-focused individuals vs outward-focused individuals, at least I'm not. I'm only talking about hermit vs non-hermit.

Again though, the point is not whether someone can be content or not.
The point is that there is a reasonable, respectable way of becoming a hermit, and there is a weak and pathetic way.
Most cases fall into the latter category, so the same counts for the people indentifying as hermits in this thread.

>>9772
>Everyone feels like this at some point and my brother says I'm in a "rut".

While I don't think everyone necessarily feels like that at times, I do believe your brother is right in saying you're in a rut.
I know you clearly mentioned you didn't need advice because it would be of no use, but I'll still only say one thing and then leave the advice be: try some introspection.

  No.9774

>>9773
>We're not discussing introverts vs outroverts or more inward-focused individuals vs outward-focused individuals,

AutoCorrection: I meant extroverts*
I guess I already had 'outward-focused' in mind as I typed.

  No.9775

>>9773
A rut is a few months at most, not a quarter of ones life or more. And the last thing I need is more introspection. It's pretty much all I do now. Introspection doesn't magically create an interest in things you already know you should care about but simply don't. A doctor would be helpful, too but that's not even remotely available.

I can tell you're trying to help but I get the impression that you have no idea what I'm trying to describe.

  No.9776

>>9775
>I can tell you're trying to help but I get the impression that you have no idea what I'm trying to describe.

Maybe I don't. And maybe introspection isn't the solution, but I didn't want to bother you unwantedly with advice too much. Introspection is just one of the most important ways of fixing yourself.
Wish the best for you though.

  No.9777

>>9776
It's cool, I guess I was passive aggressively and preemptively deflecting the type of 'advice' people on image boards tend to hand out. If I really didn't want feedback I'd have kept it to myself.

  No.9778

This is the most goawful thread I've seen on lainchan.
I don't get it, is it really that hard for some people to acknowledge some people have different values to theirs, and so are losers for wanting to be on their own? And that the only reason to do so is for a spook called religion?
I usually wouldn't mind these people exist but they seem to be confronted by the fact that there are different people and they have to ruin a thread for people who do X by debating why they are losers and why their choices/lifestyle is invalid.

  No.9779

>>9778
>I don't get it,

You're right. You don't get it.

>and so are losers for wanting to be on their own? And that the only reason to do so is for a spook called religion?


Could you please just actually read what people are saying before making assumptions and arguing based on those incorrect assumptions?

>by debating why they are losers and why their choices/lifestyle is invalid.


Again, not arguing against the merits of being a hermit.
It's what brings people to that position which matters.

Really, try actually reading the posts before commenting.

  No.9780

>>9778
Also,

>and so are losers for wanting to be on their own?

>why their choices/lifestyle is invalid.
>wanting
>choices

If you had actually read the thread, you'll see many, if not all, fall into this lifestyle without necessarily having chosen it.
Some are even unhappy about it.

  No.9782

>>9779
>>9780
I specifically avoided reading such a godawful thread, and the few that I'd actually read was filled with
>pathetic
>miserable
>loser
And the assumption, as in >>9780, that "many, if not all, fall into this lifestyle without necessarily having chosen it." thus calling people losers indirectly for not being socially fit.
And of course the unsolicited inclusion of religion as the only plausible reason for doing it.
And we always choice how to live, it's not like any of us couldn't just go out and talk to people. But if you don't connect with the people you find out there, it's really not like you choose not to be with them, just a loser because you're different?

Again, I didn't read this thread because the whole discussion seemed so so stupid but I kept seeing it take place and it makes me sad that so many people will call you a loser on account of not being a social butterfly.

  No.9784

>>9782
Ultimately, my point is, if people want to be alone, they should be fuarrrking left alone, and if they want to talk about it, they shouldn't be called roleplayers or losers.
In the end, I don't know why I post at all, I already know that it is stupid to talk about distancing from society being it one of the pillars of mankind, everyboy will go batsoykaf.

  No.9786

>>9782
>Again, I didn't read this thread

so stop posting

  No.9788

The amount of subtle and not so subtle manipulation in this thread is interesting.

Telling someone who feels left out that they are weak losers and its all fault is a interesting strategy even it's actually all their fault. It's like telling a fat person they are fat, i.e. usually nothing is accomplished. I don't think these people really care, if they did, they would have already done something about it I think. Why should anyone care what they do, and what will these people get out of the situation if they conform.

Maybe this thread has a few people who been programmed to attack deviation.

  No.9789

>>9782
If you weren't such a loser, you would have been social and read the thread.

  No.9792

>>9788
I was thinking the same. Additionally, he contradicts himself.

>>9749
>In most cases, however, that isn't the case, and the individual doesn't become a shut-in by choice, but it just happens as a form of retreat from society because that person fits one of those categories I mentioned earlier on.
>doesn't become a shut-in by choice
>retreat from society
If you retreat from society, that is an action you have taken, and therefore it is your choice. If it wasn't a choice, then you didn't retreat, you were driven off. Trying to go back again and again throwing yourself in the meatgrinder would be insanity, not strength. Realizing that repeating an action that has negative results yields more negative results and then doing something else isn't weakness, it's called not being an idiot.

  No.9797

>>9773
I think I've found the problem, you seem to admit that some people will always be bottom of the society and it's not avoidable, yet they should stride to improve themselves and not try to become hermits, which I don't agree with. If you're one these people at the bottom, there might not be a possibility for your possition to improve and any attempt will end in collosal failure as it did times and times again. The rational conclusion and not pathetic could be to become a hermit. There not need to be such emotional investement into such decision.

The contension of the problem is that what qualifies as pathetic behaviour. you seem to think that maybe people that give up and become satisfied with life situation they wouldn't choose themselfves is pathetic, but to me it just isn't the case. The more pathetic thing would be to continue bashing your head in when it just causes you woes.

Also that totally glosses over people that actually do prefer hermit lifestyle, which you seem tao acknowledge and not contest.

  No.9799

>>9797
> there might not be a possibility for your possition to improve and any attempt will end in collosal failure as it did times and times again.

Defeatism, again.

>The rational conclusion and not pathetic could be to become a hermit.


Assuming it's a conscious choice, and not just another symptom of weakness.

>Also that totally glosses over people that actually do prefer hermit lifestyle, which you seem tao acknowledge and not contest.


Nothing wrong with the hermit lifestyle per se.

>>9792
You're right in pointing that out. 'Retreat' wasn't intended as a conscious responsible choice, but rather more like 'fleeing'. If you read the posts by people who describe themselves as hermits without having chosen for the lifestyle, you'll see it slowly creeps up on people. It's not just quickly fleeing, but slowly, over time.

>Realizing that repeating an action that has negative results yields more negative results and then doing something else isn't weakness, it's called not being an idiot.


Assuming a certain rationale and situation which is quite specific.
It generally simply isn't this way.

>>9788
>Telling someone who feels left out that they are weak losers

That isn't what I said (again, read)

> It's like telling a fat person they are fat, i.e. usually nothing is accomplished.


Acknowledgement is the first step towards improvement, so you do accomplish something.

>Maybe this thread has a few people who been programmed to attack deviation.


>I'm different, therefore these meanies attack me!

Come on.... What does attacking deviation even mean? All it means here that I have a different opinion from yours. I could just as well turn it around and say you are attacking deviation (me, because I deviate from the defeatist weakness so present in this thread).
I won't though, because it's meaningless.

>>9782
> thus calling people losers indirectly for not being socially fit.

What would you call not being socially fit? A feature? A benefit?

>And of course the unsolicited inclusion of religion as the only plausible reason for doing it.


Still haven't actually read the post, have ya ;)

>And we always choice how to live,


Totally agree! Fleeing from life isn't a good choice. Therefore, hermitism, unless it's a conscious and responsible choice, isn't a good lifestyle.
The mindset should be "I'm going to temporarily leave society to improve myself", not "I'm going to flee society because I can't handle it, and just wallow in my own weakness"

>Again, I didn't read this thread


Good job!

>and if they want to talk about it, they shouldn't be called roleplayers

lol?

  No.9800

>>9799
I think I see which group you are referencing and I see them as being weak, but for a different reason. You seem to think they are weak for not changing themselves to be compatible with society in order to integrate themselves into society and therefore fix what you percieve to be their problem, yet I see them as weak for not being able to abandon society and their desire for integration and learn to be independent and achieve happiness without other people.

  No.9804

>>9800
I think we just hit the perfect point.

>You seem to think they are weak for not changing themselves to be compatible with society in order to integrate themselves into society and therefore fix what you percieve to be their problem,


Yes

>yet I see them as weak for not being able to abandon society and their desire for integration and learn to be independent and achieve happiness without other people.


And that two.
Both at the same time.

Changing yourself to be compatible with society isn';t mutually exclusive with learning to be independent and achieving happiness without other people.
Just thought I'd mention that.

I'm all for the hermit as a lifestyle choice, but the basis must be sound.

  No.9805

File: 1485363087374.png (64.08 KB, 200x127, heya.jpeg)

It is a pity this thread got hijacked by a judgemental prick.

>>9687
I certainly don't regret my initial involuntary and subsequent voluntary social isolation. But while living in an urban environment you can only isolate yourself to a certain degree.

I have been entertaining the idea of hiking out to some isolated location in the wild and staying there for several weeks at a time. At least that is how long I think I can last with food supplies I can haul with me without risking nutritional deficiencies.

Mainly what is holding me back now is finances and familial obligations, but hopefully by the end of the year I can get around to it.

  No.9806

>>9804
>Changing yourself to be compatible with society isn';t mutually exclusive with learning to be independent and achieving happiness without other people.
You're right, but it would be like learning survivalism skills without ever leaving the city. Just leave the city already.

  No.9811

>>9806
I see it more as two important skills/capabilities which could be applied in two different ways.

Being able to be alone and taking part in society
or
Being alone and being able to take part in society

Depending on what you wish to achieve, you'll do one of the two or a combination as fits your purpose.

  No.9817

>>9799
>Acknowledgement is the first step towards improvement,
You want these people to acknowledge your belief that something they are doing is wrong because you think it is. This isn't for them its for you.

>so you do accomplish something.

Other peoples expectations of what we should or shouldn't do is never for our benefit its for theirs. They should do what they want and not worry about outside perception of accomplishing something. If they want to accomplish nothing, they should.

>I'm different, therefore these meanies attack me!

With glitter?
>Come on.... What does attacking deviation even mean? All it means here that I have a different opinion from yours. I could just as well turn it around and say you are attacking deviation (me, because I deviate from the defeatist weakness so present in this thread).
Giving in and conforming to others is defeatist and shows weakness.

  No.9819

>>9817
Using the guy's comparison

>It's like telling a fat person they are fat

Are you going to tell me about fat acceptance now?

>Giving in and conforming to others is defeatist and shows weakness.

Totally agree, which is why I said:

>Changing yourself to be compatible with society isn';t mutually exclusive with learning to be independent and achieving happiness without other people.


It's all about the >ability< to conform, not conforming itself.

> They should do what they want and not worry about outside perception of accomplishing something.

You could lazily rot away in your home as much as you want. All I'm saying is your 'hermitage' is bad.

  No.9825

>>9819
>Are you going to tell me about fat acceptance now

Are you pretending to be this thick? He meant it was like saying "the sky is blue" to anyone who isn't blind.

  No.9826

>>9825
>thick

Really? Going to tell me I'm fat now?

  No.10387

>>9750
What's up anon? Why? Tell me a bit more.

  No.10431

Best decision ever. Everything and everyone out there is trying to kill me. Also, I'm learning some basic html and css stuff now that I have all this time to myself.

  No.10432

>>9687
>Does anyone here feel like being a shut-in or hermit is the best decision they've made?
Yeah, feels good man.

  No.10433

>>10431
The free time is certainly nice if you know how to fill it.

  No.10434

>>10433
Wish I had a time machine so I could make different life choices. Like, I would just be a loser in a basement somewhere making music, rather than having a career or whatever you call this lifestyle I'm living.

  No.10435

24 and working a decent job. I walk to work all the time now after losing transportation and I feel better for it than driving. I'm saving up for my own apartment to get away from family.

  No.10716

>>9687
I want to travel the country in a van for some years to achieve isolation. The concept of just me, my thoughts, the landscape, and what I can carry on my back is very appealing and I feel I will get enough time to think about life along with some good memories.

I don't know how I'm going to pull of personal hygiene though but everything else seems comfy, especially not interacting with anyone for awhile by choice.

  No.10717

>>10716
Same man. I would really like to explore the United States.

  No.10729

>>9699
I'm 2 months late, but I think the prevalence of this shut-in attitude on chans are just a symptom of the society we live in.
Since the 50s-60s, the cost of everything relative to salaries has increased (housing, food, transports, etc.) except electronics.
We live in highly competitive societies where getting almost any kind of job now require having a specialized degree.
City centers became basically shopping malls where nothing happens for free. Big cities, where all the fun niche stuff in art, science and entertainment for weirdos happen, are continuously getting more and more gentrified and becoming less and less affordable.
You won't find any alcoholic Situationnists fooling around in the streets of Paris with walkie-talkies anymore, but only over-stressed workers who has no time to do anything after their 2 hours long commutes, tourists exploring the parts of the city landscaped for tourism, and members of the European upper(-middle) class being busy doing God knows what. And I'm pretty sure it is the same in London, New York, etc.

What I wanted to convey by saying all of this is that I guess introverted people nowadays don't really want to engage in what is happening outside when school/work is over. They prefer to retreat with their cheap computers and this very interesting and bigger-than-life Internet thing, where art, science and entertainment is cheap as fuarrrk, and you can interact with people who have the same interests as you.
We all became atomized because life is so dull outside of the internet and its infinite varieties of vidya, movies, music, etc, if you aren't interested in going bars with overpriced drinks, soykafty music and annoying bouncers. Anything that isn't part of the vapid late-stage capitalist mass culture is hard to get by in the outside world.

Also, to expand on competitiveness, I want to add that the mainstream conception of dating is a horrible game where you have play by a ton of unwritten rules and are expected to do this and pay for this and so on, the goal is to act like the character of a Hollywood romantic-comedy, and is kinda akin to having a job interview. No wonder there are so many virgins on chans. The best way to meet a partner outside of that terrible formalized approach is to go outside and meet people who share your interests. But as I said, the outside is pretty dull compared to the internet : there are no more arcades, cinemas are expensive, vibrant alternative music scenes are only present in big cities, etc. it's predicted that millenials will have less partners in their life than their parents and grand-parents.

Anyway, it feels good to rant about that.

  No.10734

>Does anyone here feel like being a shut-in or hermit is the best decision they've made?
It has it's ups and downs. I used to be a full on hikki when I was still NEET. Now I think I've found a good mix, three days of going outside, then then 4 days of being inside. Also I tend to take various drugs to help with the boredom.
Sometimes I feel very lonely and fall into depression for a while. But other times I feel maximum comfy and think my life is perfect. I have friends online who I'm closer to than I've ever been to anyone irl. I have pretty much given up on 3dpd after some pretty bad experiences. Also watching soykafty moe anime on oxys is possibly the best experience possible in human existence.
>>10729
this guy gets it 10/10

  No.10772

>>10729
Great post.

I have a long body

  No.10791

File: 1489002934958.png (14.09 KB, 200x80, 91b1Hd0.jpg)

I used to be a full hermit, I'm almost a norm again but still have no friends. I can't say I'd reverse what I did but I'm really fuarrrkng sick of it. I'm just tired of never being able to enguage with people or have meaning full connections. I have to spend most of my mental energy these days on actively not talking to my self in public. I just want one contact on my phone that isn't work or a family member is that too much to ask?

  No.10793

OP sounds a little like me except I didn't choose it. I did a lot of different things earlier in life and every single one of them became boring or were just failed attempts. I just gave up eventually. I haven't had a conversation since my brother dropped me off home on xmas day, not counting talking with a cashier while paying for something or returning bottles.

I do have to leave the house for a few hours every couple of days to check the internets and download some new porn and podcasts but I don't talk to anyone so it's like going EVA briefly before returning to the space station.

  No.10794

>>10791
I feel like I was like you couple of years ago. During high school I have spend all days in my room, never going out. After going to college i was able to act as normal person but still got no firends and was thinking how it would be grat to have somone call me, ask me out or ask how I feel. Now I have those friends and after couple of years I feel tired of them. I know they are good people and I still like them but I have when someone calls and start to talk. I can meet with them from time to time, have a beer or something but aparently people expect more. Now I don't even know what I really want from life.

  No.10795

>>10791
I'll be ya friend man

  No.10802

>>10794
I feel it. Except for one friend and she left. All my other friends though eh?

I read this article about how our definition of a friend has changed. It used to be that person we just connected with and something to be cherished and that was rare, now its just anybody we can tolerate almost. My thoughts are dont feel bad, its rare to have a real good friend. You might look around and see people who are having a blast but in reality they just want to do anything but be lonely. When you find someone or people you really love that stops being fun, why bother hanging out with people you dont even care about that much. And on the other hand when you find those people you do care about even doing stupid soykaf is fun and rewarding. Im p lonely right now but im just gonna study have fun by myself and meet new people when I can.

  No.10849

>>9687
Yea

I shut myself away from the outside world over 10 years ago

I emerged with enough knowledge to make fuarrrk tons of money. Got me some ADHD meds and now I'm on my way to greater things.

And I down talk everyone that's willing to bend over and accept the current system.

PLUS life on earth is going to take a few amazing turns during and after 2020. Nothing Ive done even makes a difference. I wont even be myself come the singularity

  No.10850

>>10849
How much money are we talking about?
And more importantly, what kind of knowledge did you acquire?

  No.10914

who /inner hermit/ here?

>have job

>don't talk to anyone you don't have to
>socialize only via internet

  No.10948

File: 1489596567304.png (50.35 KB, 113x200, 1218743693609.gif)

I used to be a full hikikomori.
Many years ago i started going outside for walks, at first near the quiet woods then further and further.
I discovered some interesting places and things.
Even dared going near people and watching them.
A few times when i had spare money i dared going to bars.

It made me see a different world, the one i could not be a part of.
Now im sick of going outside, of doing anything, of being alive.
I wish i could go back to how i was before, of not having seen the world, just quietly rotting away in my room.
Maybe id be better of like that, i but cannot go back.

  No.10957

>>9687
I've spent my whole life being a shut in a computer. It's fuarrrked my brain up. I'm trying to get out of it. It's simply no way to live.