[ art / civ / cult / cyb / diy / drg / feels / layer / lit / λ / q / r / sci / sec / tech / w / zzz ] archive provided by lainchan.jp

lainchan archive - /q/ - 13082



File: 1488495480411.png (315.51 KB, 215x300, ryosios.jpg)

No.13082

I think Lainchan as a whole needs to become more focused on the technological aspects of the world rather than the other things in order to become more successful in terms of popularity and quality. This is because /lain/ itself, i.e. its users, already represents a niche group of people. Why would you split up an already niche group of people into so many various boards? We have a total of 12 boards alone in the main nav bar - 12! (Minus /q/, /mega/, etc.) What that's essentially doing is dividing an already niche group of people into 12 separate and even smaller categories that can be browsed only once at a time. Is this how you achieve quality in a niche community?

You cannot easily argue that the freedom to move between different boards negates my argument, because the reality is that each user only has a finite amount of time to spend on Lainchan, which is already a small community, everyday. If a user decides to visit Lainchan, he will most likely visit only a single board for the majority of his sitting and focus his mind on the specific topic of that board, separate from all the others. I don't have hard evidence to back this claim up, because I don't know how every Lainchan user spends his time on Lainchan, but I think that this a reasonable assumption to make. So when a Lainchan user decides to visit Lainchan, what he is essentially doing is participating in only 1 out of 12 other "groups" of people at any given moment of time in an already niche community.

My proposal of what the nav bar should look like is the following:

Public:
1. /sec/
2. /sci/
3. /lam/
4. /cult/
5. /lit/
6. /r/

Hidden:
1. /layer/
2. /zzz/
3. /feels/ - for the love of god please hide this
4. /drg/
5. /civ/

Yes, my proposal implies many major things, I'll go through them quickly. I believe /lam/ and /diy/ should be combined into /tech/, because both are practically technological subjects that don't necessarily imply security, (which would belong in /sec/). And if this means we have to have one less distroposting or desktop posting thread in /tech/, so be it. Activity and quality are more important that these fruitless endeavors, which are allowed only by all the immense space between our separated boards.This would bring all technological minds together in a bigger forum instead of spreading them out needlessly, and forcing them to focus in on the things that really matter to us and are important to us, collectively. I consider this to be the most important thing.

You know what's ironic about /layer/? "Hiding" is the principle element behind the technology there yet there they are displaying themselves on the public nav bar. Plus, there's no strict topic of discussion, so hide the whole damn thing and let them be a niche within a niche.

A lot of people are gonna hate this, but /zzz/, /feels/, and /drg/ are nothing but huge and public invites to non-technological people who come to this chan and only want to settle on those very (non-technological) boards. The only type of non-technological people I would ever want on this chan are people who are interested in cyberpunk novels or sci-fi literature in general, but don't know too much about actual technology - that's fine in my opinion. But everyone else, I mean what good are they to us as a whole and in the long run? What good are they for our overall image as well?

Please consider these thoughts, I've been here for a while.

  No.13083

(cont).

I made a mistake, #3 in public should be /tech/ and not /lam/, as I've elaborated in the post that both /lam/ and /diy/ should be brought together within /tech/.

I also forgot to explain my inclusion of /civ/ in the hidden section. To be honest, I am nothing but disappointed in both kalyx's and Appleman's handling of /civ/. Politics is to the human man as the human man is to mortality - inseparable. To struggle with it (the topic), excessively moderate it, toil with it, and lock it altogether only displays your lack of understanding to the subject as a whole. I read a lot, including political literature, and I understand very well the differences in opinion of both the left and right, up and down. Suppressing the topic as a whole because of your own failure and inability to moderate it just makes you look like an uneducated fool. The same goes for every /q/ poster who cries out about it as well. Who cares if the threads reach endless amounts of replies without any satisfying conclusion? These people need an outlet, especially in today's technological and political environment, so give it to them (even if it's just hidden and not public) and do not excessively moderate it. If you have a better plan, go for it, this wasn't the most important change I wanted to see anyway.

  No.13085

>>13082
>You know what's ironic about /layer/? "Hiding" is the principle element behind the technology there yet there they are displaying themselves on the public nav bar. Plus, there's no strict topic of discussion, so hide the whole damn thing and let them be a niche within a niche.
I agree with this.

I'm fine with the suggested consolidations and hiding of some boards. I don't have any strong feelings for any particular direction but I suppose it would be better in the long-run to speed up board activity and user retention.

  No.13086

File: 1488513345671.png (4.48 MB, 200x113, <.gif)

>>13082
>Can quality be objectively defined?
>Is /Lain/ attracting quality content?
>Why censored boards?
>/lam/ without /tech/; software without hardware?

>/Lain/ became /cyb/

>/cyb/ became /sec/
>/sec/ under attack

>/lien/ life enhancement resolves /feels/

  No.13090

>>13086
>Can quality be objectively defined?
>Is /Lain/ attracting quality content?
What's the purpose in even asking this question? Do you want to see the chan progress overall or not? If you don't care to define or measure quality, why bother replying at all in a thread where quality is the subject and issue?

>Why censored boards?

Censored is not the same as hidden, and did you bother reading the post?

>/lam/ without /tech/; software without hardware?

Read the first post.

I don't even know what the rest of your statements mean. Why reply at all if you have nothing to offer, really? That's what I would call content of "low quality".

  No.13091

>>13082
If you hide boards from navbar then newcomers will not find them. Hidden boards will die.

>"Hiding" is the principle element behind the technology there yet there they are displaying themselves on the public nav bar

Because /layer/ is not a hidden community. This board is created to popularize steganography. Newcomer can open /layer/ read the sticky and try this thing if he interested. Ask question and discuss. At this moment there are two tools on this board: DDT and NanoBoard. Maybe someday something else will appear on /layer/.

I think what good lainon can effectively use /mega/ to have a complete overview of what happens on lainchan. /mega/ is not that fast, you can easily track everything what happens here. And also on /mega/ there is an option to hide threads from boards which you do not like.

One thing what can be improved - add option to customize navbar.

  No.13096

>>13082
>I believe /lam/ and /diy/ should be combined into /tech/, because both are practically technological subjects that don't necessarily imply security, (which would belong in /sec/). And if this means we have to have one less distroposting or desktop posting thread in /tech/, so be it. Activity and quality are more important that these fruitless endeavors, which are allowed only by all the immense space between our separated boards.This would bring all technological minds together in a bigger forum instead of spreading them out needlessly, and forcing them to focus in on the things that really matter to us and are important to us, collectively. I consider this to be the most important thing.
Removing dedicated boards and dumping 3 different groups into a single board to increase activity on that board will do nothing to increase quality. All combining those boards would do is make threads from those 3 topics compete for space in the catalog and reduce the diversity of discussion. /diy/ is a slower board where some threads can go for a month between posts with short bursts of discussion. Should the people involved in those discussion have to make a new thread every time to continue an ongoing discussion, or make meaningless posts for the sole purpose of bump threads so that they don't 404? Also, threads with low thresholds to contribute such as desktop threads will continue to be the most active and will not be affected by such an action, rather the threads threads with higher thresholds to contribute will be the ones to be affected. Furthermore, combining the boards will not necessarily make people from one of those boards contribute to a topic related to another one of those boards more than they already do. If someone is so uninterested in contributing on the other boards currently that they won't even check them, then they more than likely would just ignore threads that would belong to those other boards when they appear in on the combined board.

>You know what's ironic about /layer/? "Hiding" is the principle element behind the technology there yet there they are displaying themselves on the public nav bar. Plus, there's no strict topic of discussion, so hide the whole damn thing and let them be a niche within a niche.

There is no real reason for doing this and it only serves as an additional but very low barrier for entry on a board that already has a rather high barrier for entry. Also, as this poster said: >>13091, /layer/ is for users who want to experiment with stenography and hiding the board would go against its purpose.

>other hidden board recommendations

This site is slow enough and those boards are fast enough that newcomers could very easily find them on /mega/. Hell, they'll even appear on the site's home page under recent posts. All making those boards hidden would do is annoy the regulars here who want to use those boards without manually typing in the URL.

>>13083
>on /civ/
Direct your arguments about /civ/ to this thread: >>12938, as we don't need tons of threads discussing /civ/ for people to copy/paste their arguments between and there are already 3 in the catalog including this one with you trying to start yet another discussion.

  No.13099

Why does every one always want to get rid of feels? It makes lainchan even more comfy, on top of all the other discussion that it's not taking away from, it means I have a place to come talk about my life, and such, and share perspective for other people who come around. It's nice, and I fail to see how to takes away from anything else here.

  No.13100

File: 1488902898874.png (287.78 KB, 174x200, feels must die.png)

>>13096
What you're admitting in this post is that you have absolutely no interest in Lainchan's progress as an image board. In fact, you would be entirely content if Lainchan had never grown at all and stagnated at the current state that it's in, only to die some time in the near future. You admit that the reason why you detest thread competition is because it would make the image board more lively as a whole, which would annoy you due to your selfish preferences of a slow-moving chan.

>>13099
>every one
No, most people on Lainchan want to keep /feels/. It's a smaller minority of people that do not need /feels/ to make them feel better about themselves and are disgusted at the "comfiness" it gives. And in my opinion, it's this minority that has the correct view of /feels/ if Lainchan wants to see itself progress in the future. Do you want Lainchan to be an image board of "comfiness" or an image board of technology and security? It's called Lainchan, not ComfyChan. You can't necessarily have both, because the user base is too small.

Overall, both of you are content with a technology-centered image board that doesn't discuss technology in an active manner, and you defend this image boards stagnation. Lainchan isn't that young anymore, it needs to progress now or die. If you want to argue against any point I make, try arguing against this one first instead of crying about "muh anti-competition communist tendencies" and "muh comfiness".

Also, if you're all about comfiness, get rid of the /sushichan/ link in the nav bar, because you are only inviting them to steal even more activity and users from this image board. Do you guys want this site to grow or not?

  No.13101

>>13100
If you put all your beer and cheese pizza in one fridge then lasagna and pepsi will not suddenly appear out of nowhere.

> If you want to argue against any point I make, try arguing against this one first

There is no good points in your posts about how to make lainchan grow and progress. Only thing what you suggest: "lets reorder boards in navbar one more time". Changing structure of your porn folder will not make you popular along rl girls.

If user is interested in /sec/ and /lam/ but due to his stupidity he can't visit both of this boards (or check /mega/) then let him suffer. Really.

I check /mega/ every day. If there is a thread where I can share knowledge I have, I give my answers in that thread. If I see knowledge I'm interested in, I read all related posts. This makes sense for me. Changing order of boards in navbar changes nothing. And I believe what this will change nothing for other lainons.

If you want lainchan to grow and progress then go and make high quality content on any board you like. Make detailed answers on things you really know. Elaborate. Discuss. The more you do in this way the more attractive lainchan will be for tech lurkers.

>get rid of the /sushichan/ link in the nav bar, because you are only inviting them to steal even more activity and users from this image board

This is traffic exchange. They link back to lainchan (in the same place on theirs navabr).

  No.13102

>>13101
>"lets reorder boards in navbar one more time"
>neurosuggesting I said that

That's not what I said. Hiding 6 out of the 12 boards we have isn't simply "reordering", it's much more than that, and there would be a dramatic change as a result. Even this poster would agree with me >>13091, because he says that the change would be so dramatic that the hidden boards may even die - and I would say good riddance.

I think most of us would agree that hiding 6 boards would be dramatic, but you would say it wouldn't change anything? I highly doubt that. It would boost the activity on the remaining 6 boards, publicized on the nav bar, and the return rate of visitors with time to spare on the internet would increase at least two-fold, because there would be more likely a chance that they'd see something new by the time of their next visit.

>le /mega/ meme

/mega/ isn't a replacement for a highly active image board. You don't think I use /mega/ too? You're acting like I don't even know what it is when I obviously do. When I see a thread pop up on the top of /mega/, it's an old thread and I'm immediately bored of it. No one wants to see the same soykaf over and over again for 6 months. And every time I make a post, I'll forget about the post because of the ages it takes to get a back-and-forth going. It's boring.

You cannot seriously be implying that condensing the main boards into just 6 boards would change nothing, right? All posts and all activity that goes into /lam/ and /diy/ would be going into /tech/, which would increase activity two-fold if not three-fold. It would be a massive change. But like I said before, it seems you're against highly active boards for whatever reason. This goes against the principles of image boards, which are characterized by threads that are constantly created and constantly dying, all at the same time.

  No.13106

>>13102
>Even this poster would agree with me >>13091
That was also my post.

>It would boost the activity on the remaining 6 boards

But will not change speed of whole lainchan. Illusion? Yes. Speed boost? Nope. Will illusion of speed bring more quality to lainchan? I don't think so. More people will return and post here because it looks more like 4chan/g/? I think much more people will not return because of this.

It looks like you want your personal comfy lainchan: delete boards you do not like, ban idiots from board you don't even visit, combine your favorite boards into one so you don't need to fight with /mega/ and make it all faster to entertain you. How many lainons agree with you? How many not? If you ask /lam/ about merging with /diy/ and /tech/ how many lainons will love your idea?

I want /lam/ to be separated from anything else. I don't want /layer/ to die because it is not on navbar. If someone needs /feels/ for keeping themselves sane on /sec/ then let it be. If you combine boards for speed then there will be lainons who will request to split them back because threads they interested in will be on second page and no one checks that page (and beyond).

>You're acting like I don't even know what it is when I obviously do.

In this case you can configure /mega/ for your needs and be happy.

>No one wants to see the same soykaf over and over again for 6 months

Then create fresh and interesting thread. You find lainchan slow and boring. But isn't it your fault? What prevents you from starting your morning with creating one new high quality thread about something fresh and interesting?

If we want to follow image boards principles then bring more animu images. Because without catgirls our board is not that much "image". I hope people visit lainchan not because it is an image board, but because of its community.

And if we want to make lainchan great again then we need to take care about quality and not speedposting.

  No.13115

File: 1489181930406.png (2.53 MB, 200x148, lall.gif)

>>13099
>Why does every one always want to get rid of feels?
They don't. Getting rid of >>>/feels/ is s‭p‭ook ops.

Hidden boards die and have lower quality posts than non-hidden boards. If that's the objective here, please go ahead and f‭u‭c‭k ‭up all those boards. They'll become great sh‭it‭pos‭t deposits.

It's extremely telling when there are more deleted images in a thread on an imageboard than actual images. >>>/sec/ is a great example The cultural enforcement ops here don't seem to understand what imageboard culture is or the freedom of expression that (made) it great.

  No.13123

>>13115
>don't seem to understand what imageboard culture is
We are not 4chan. We are not trying to be 4chan. We have our own culture and we like it just fine.

  No.13129

>>13123
>We are not 4chan. We are not trying to be 4chan.
We are called lainCHAN. Whether you like it or not image board culture is defined by 4chan and this website got on board with this definition from the day it started.

OP pretending that identifying the whole site as /g/chan will improve the site instead of stagnating it further is proof of this.

  No.13133

>>13129
>Whether you like it or not image board culture is defined by 4chan and this website got on board with this definition from the day it started.

That doesn't mean every chan should be a 4chan clone. Personally, I come here because of the less "channy" atmosphere, and i think it fits the overall theme of the site well. I don't think much is lost by removing cheap memes and 3-word greentext replies, although i'm not sure if that's what you mean by "image board culture"

  No.13136

File: 1489510783363.png (445.8 KB, 200x150, 1487521508042.jpg)

please don't delete /feels/. I'd remove lambda and civ first if anything. i'll just make a new chan if feels is deleted.

  No.13140

File: 1489527593947.png (1.66 MB, 187x200, dooritos.png)

>>13106
>illusion of speed
It wouldn't be an illusion, you dumbass. It would be a legitimate increase of speed, that is, more threads would be bumped off when new threads are made and post activity on a single board would increase substantially, thus increasing the return rate of visitors with something to offer to the chan.

You and >>13129 are so set on the argument that if you increase activity on this site, it will automatically become /g/ or 4chan in general. I think intelligent lurkers reading this thread will be able to see the weak-willed logic behind this mode of thought; For according to your argument and logic, ANY chan with high activity is automatically equivalent to 4chan and /g/. Therefore, my initial argument that in the end, you actually love the stagnation of Lainchan and would hate to see it to improve still remains sound.

And I know why you and the mods love the slowness of Lainchan. On the front, you pretend you love it because it means people can read every thread without missing out on anything (as if this is even a virtue of a chan in and of itself), but in reality, you love it because it's easier to moderate. With the way the chan is split up into 12 different boards, the mods have a much easier job of going through each and every thread and making sure it looks exactly as how they want it, not how the individual users want it. This is a cyberpunk board after all, and I am highly suspicious as to how in the world such a small group of users are split up into 12 different categories. I know this is the real reason. You will not see more success from this chan until more users realize this.

>>13136
>i'll just make a new chan
And fuarrrk that one up too?

  No.13141

>>13140
>It would be a legitimate increase of speed
One post per day on 12 boards means 12 post per day on Lainchan. 12 post per day on a single board means same 12 posts per day on Lainchan. Where is "legitimate increase of speed"?

> thus increasing the return rate of visitors with something to offer to the chan

Combining /diy/, /lam/ and /tech/ into one board will not make /lam/ threads three times faster. They will be the same slow threads as they are today. Because same people will post on them.

There is only one thing what can change Lainchan - massive and adequate advertising. This will bring many new users. And then Lainchan must have quality. This quality will keep adequate users returning. Deleting/combining/renaming of boards will change nothing.

> chan with high activity is automatically equivalent to 4chan

Correct. This is what I see everywhere.

>mods have a much easier job of going through each and every thread and making sure it looks exactly as how they want it

Absolutely correct. This is essential thing to imageboards. Content must be strictly moderated and this job must be done quick. Without dictate anonymous posters tend to turn everything into /b/.

> This is a cyberpunk board after all, and I am highly suspicious as to how in the world such a small group of users are split up into 12 different categories

There is no split in Lainchan userbase. If user interested in several categories he visits all this categories. If he can't do that he must go away and return only when he grow up.

  No.13142

File: 1489541311634.png (439.85 KB, 200x181, frown.png)

>>13141
>Absolutely correct. This is essential thing to imageboards. Content must be strictly moderated and this job must be done quick. Without dictate anonymous posters tend to turn everything into /b/.
Absolutely incorrect. The essential things to imageboards are anonymity and lightly restricted moderation of speech. It appears I've outted you out as an insufferable mod posing as a regular user who is hellbent on keeping status quo of his slow and easy-to-moderate imageboard. You clearly lack the understanding and needs of a regular imageboard user, afterall. I mean, seriously,

>Content must be strictly moderated and this job must be done quick


Do you know how bad this looks on a supposedly "cyberpunk" site? You've revealed your true intentions, (or rather, I've revealed them first for you), and you even go on to say,

>Without dictate anonymous posters tend to turn everything into /b/.


Look how little you think of the average internet user, the average Lainon rather, look how you belittle him or her. I hope you're not the same poster as >>13123 , because according to this poster, we're NOT the same as 4chan and we have, therefore, our own culture (and "we like it just fine"). This is in direct opposition to your own attitude toward the average Lainon, who you believe is no better than the average 4chan visitor, and that without your holy presence and your proper moderation, we'd all be a bunch of insects to you, correct? Look how little you think of us, and you think this belief gives you the right to trample on us through moderation.

>There is no split in Lainchan userbase.

You're a liar. Discussions span across 12 different boards and therefore certain types of people who tend to lurk on one board more than others are split from each other so that you can have an easier time moderating them while feeling all high and mighty that you are the moderator of an entire website community! You know it's impossible for a typical Lainon to visit all 12 boards every day, but you pretend it's entirely possible and tell me the same thing over and over again so that you can retain the split in our community.

>There is only one thing what can change Lainchan - massive and adequate advertising.

On where? 4chan? But I thought you didn't want "those" kinds of people. Not to mention, your lack of specificity makes me doubt you actually want to advertise. And did you just admit afterward that any chan with high activity will end up being exactly like 4chan (and that "this is what I see everywhere")? So which is it? Do you want to advertise then or not? Can you even make up your mind or keep a coherent argument? And of course, it's not only until this line of your post that you mention the return rate of users being a factor when it comes to quality, because you coincidentally forgot to think about that being a factor when you addressed my quotations at the beginning of your post. Your post is just so riddiled with repeating statements and lies it's noxious to look at. Do you really think the average Lainon is that stupid? You probably do, and it saddens me. This is how you lose users, not gain them.

  No.13144

>>13142
Heavier moderation is absolutely essential to any community that wants to prioritize quality over quantity. You degraded the other poster for thinking little of the average internet poster, but I actually agree with his position, in that lainchan should strive to be better than the average imageboard. I don't mean to argue that we should look down to newcomers to lainchan, but rather that new posters should be expected to rise to lanchan's standard of quality. We shouldn't have to decrease moderation, and by extension the quality of the site, to accommodate new users.

Back on topic a bit, I disagree with the entire notion that the relatively high number of boards is divisive to the community. Programming and cyber-security are prominent enough themes in cyberpunk culture that they should warrant their own boards, and I've seen enough unique discussion in each of them that I don't think merging the two would be justified either. Bouncing around different boards for different discussions is a core function of how chans work, I don't think that is what is causing this supposed stagnation, nor do I think decreasing the number of visible boards would help. It's not 12 separate communities so much as it's 12 separate topics of discussion. Anecdotally, I read 9 of them regularly; and I don't think i'm an outlier.

  No.13145

>>13142
> The essential things to imageboards are anonymity and lightly restricted moderation of speech
And Lainchan is not an imageboard. It uses Vichan instead of phpBB because site was created by imageboards users. And because Vichan looks more cyber. Sad situation but this is how it is.

Lainchan is a forum where certain set of topics can be discussed. Lainchan is about security, programming and technology. There is no /cyb/ anymore but heavy part of atmosphere here is still cyberpunk. We have Miss Iwakura as site mascot but this doesn't mean what animu is allowed all over the place for no reason. And while it looks like 4chan affiliate the imageboard culture is actually not needed here.

Users must follow the rules and keep themselves on topic. If this two simple things are hard for them, then mods must help.

> This is in direct opposition to your own attitude toward the average Lainon

I think what average Lainon is smart enough and have adequate tech skills. He is very fine with discussions split into different topics and he uses this split as a comfort feature. He knows how-to use /mega/. And if he finds something broken he fix this and make PR on github.

I mostly concerned about summer users who came here because they thinks this is an imageboard and they can "lol deepweb animu" here and "tor is created by FBI".

> certain types of people who tend to lurk on one board more than others are split from each other

And this is fine. Because they are not interested in other topics and not because they are retards who can't use browser properly. There is no need in making Lainchan more retards oriented and 4chan friendly.

If 4chan/g/ and 8chan/tech/ migrate to Lianchan and number of boards will be reduced, then quality will be overflown by imageboards culture. This will mean death of Lainchan.

>On where? 4chan?

I said "adequate". I don't know where Lainchan should be advertised but this must be another places dedicated to discussions of security and programming topics. Maybe places like https://www.schneier.com/ community or stackexchange.

And from that places 10000 users will come and only 20 of them will be adequate enough for being lainons. And if moderation will be weak then retards will also stay here and ruin discussions.

>Do you really think the average Lainon is that stupid?

No. And this is why I think what Lainchan is fine. They are smart and can use Lainchan as is. And I also believe what Lainchan can switch from Vichan to something what emulates linux console where users must use ls/cd/cat/tail commands to navigate across the boards and read threads. And use vi to write posts. And I will not be surprised if someone already uses emacs to lurk here.

  No.13152

>>13145
>Lainchan is not an imageboard
>It uses Vichan
Go to bed, anon. You're drunk.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
In all seriousness though, if you don't like anime or image boards that is fine, but to try and say lainchan is not an imageboard or that anime images and image board culture has no place on an image board with an anime mascot is like saying water has no place in the ocean.

  No.13154

>>13152
I'm not the one you responded to.
>In all seriousness though, if you don't like anime or image boards that is fine, but to try and say lainchan is not an imageboard or that anime images and image board culture has no place on an image board with an anime mascot is like saying water has no place in the ocean.
Lainchan is an imageboard, but that doesn't make it 4chan. I got tired of trying to have discussions only for people to inject their own hobbies into them and claim that's always alright. I was told to leave if I didn't like it and so I did.

Lainchan is different and I like it for that. I like the imageboard format and technology, but you would have me no where to go. I like that I can have a discussion about technology and have it remain only about technology.

If you don't like that, maybe you should go to one of the many imageboards that you already agree with, rather than arguing that this one is wrong.

  No.13155

>>13154
I've not noticed any qualities unique to lainchan that other small image boards don't also posses, except maybe the amount of drama between user and moderation, and between different camps of users. Also, i've not advocated any changes (the post you responded to is the only post I've made in this thread). I only pointed out that complaining about anime and image board culture on an image board with an anime mascot, especially considering lainchan sprung out of cyberpunk threads on /g/, is as silly as going swimming and complaining about how wet it is.
>I got tired of trying to have discussions only for people to inject their own hobbies into them
Unless you consider simply posting an anime picture alongside their post to be "injecting their hobbies" or some how derailing discussion I haven't seen that even on failchan(except maybe /b/, idk, i haven't been on /b/ since 2007 at the latest). If that is what you mean, then I'm sorry anon, but you need to come to terms with the fact that other people might like a thing you don't like.

The only changes I would propose is for mods to lighten up a bit. Lainchan is still trying to figure out what it is/wants to be i think, and it needs some room to figure that out. I've seen the same process take place in other small communities as they grow, though each is a little different. Trying to force it one way or the other through excessive and strict moderation will only do harm.

  No.13172

File: 1490246066120.png (337.01 KB, 134x200, coke.png)

>>13082
I've proposed something similar. I would appreciate feedback on my suggestions.

https://www.razorbelle.com/public/lainchan.org/information_architecture.htm

  No.13175

>>13172
I agree with this proposal but would go even farther and combine /cult/ and /psy/ with /soc/. The state of society affects individuals in various ways, such as how we think, how we sleep, etc. There is no need to fragment the community in silly ways like having a /zzz/, /drg/ or even /psy/ board. Creating a /psy/ board like you suggest would still be a step in the right direction if nothing else is done, but I would still take it a step forward because the activity on this site just does not compare to other chans. Moreover, keeping /cult/ and /soc/ is absolutely needless, because society IS culture. As for the topic of literature specifically, the reality is that not many people read books anymore, so having just a few threads related to literature in a single /soc/ board along with other material is the best way to get those few threads attention. Also, society is best described in great detail in professionally written literature.

Why did you sage your post? Unlike the mods replying in this thread and fighting for the status quo, you've made a high quality proposal and took the OP seriously.

  No.13194

>>13175
I would strongly disagree with merging all four of those boards. That seems quite excessive and not because any of them are my 'pet' board either. They just don't seem like they belong together.

Culture (the products of society) and society are not the same thing. I don't think raving about a random anime or sharing your favorite music belongs in the same board as a philosophical treatise. Experiences induced by dreaming or drugs or both don't seem to belong with either of those either.

By your argument, we should merge programming and tech into soc because both of those are products of society as well. You have to draw a line somewhere.

That being said my proposal is certainly closer to what you are after compared to the current structure of the boards.

I suspect that having fewer boards would actually increase overall activity and that should be the entire point of this thread. It's not about how things "should" be or "ought" to be, but rather how things would best serve the community. I think we can do better.

Finally, as for saging, I don't know what are you talking about? I didn't sage the post. Someone else must have.