[ art / civ / cult / cyb / diy / drg / feels / layer / lit / λ / q / r / sci / sec / tech / w / zzz ] archive provided by lainchan.jp

lainchan archive - /tech/ - 32845

File: 1482706488835.png (32.16 KB, 300x300, rss[1].gif)

No.32845

How does lainchan use RSS? I've been trying to find a good reader, but haven't been all too lucky.

In my opinion, RSS is a good stepping stone away from the botnet. I get a good feeling knowing that I am in a way eating the bait off the hook while not getting caught by the fisherman. I get exactly what I want while minimizing ads, distracting comment sections, and third party trackers.

One day I want my RSS feed to be my internet and when I have finished reading it I will be "done" for the day.

  No.32846

>>32845
A good way to follow the replies

  No.32847

>>32846
Probably this is not so useful here because there is not a big active user base here and in general on the chan boards.

  No.32854

yes. I use RSS to keep me up to date on news and a few youtube channels. I never visit youtube's site directly; I copy the URL from the RSS feed into mpv.

  No.32856

I see what you mean OP, it's kinda hard to find RSS Readers. I'm considering using RSS from seeing your thread, not so much because I want to avoid a botnet but because it'd reduce my time in front of the computer.

I'm assuming your using Linux, but even Windows doesn't have too much now. I do remember some random reader on Windows but I'm not finding it at the moment.

  No.32858

>>32856
Not OP.
I used QuiteRSS for a while and it is pretty nice. Crossplatform too.
Dropped it beacause I was using Thunderbird for email and also handles rss, although not so well sometimes. So I wanted to kill two birds with one stone.

The one thing I always have problems with is how to organize my feeds.

  No.32859

>>32858
Interesting. I am also using QuiteRSS with Thunderbird. I do plan to drop QuiteRSS but for other reasons that yours.
For some reason it likes to give me all localized content in some garbled script, or occasionally in Arabic. It also crashes when trying to plane inline youtube videos.

I'm tempted to use Firefox for RSS. I have a nice plugin that lets me use youtube-dl with mpv, which makes it all the more cozy.

  No.32861

>>32845
I use Newsbeuter. It is excellent, it follows Mutt's philosophy without getting too complex. I'm really satisfied.

  No.32864

Been using newsbeuter for a little while. It does the job and its podcast downloader is a fun bonus.

  No.32868

spaRSS is nice on Android, it's simple, has filters and grouping, and generally works well.
It's on F-Droid.

  No.32869

Write your own RSS reader. It is trivial to do, most high level languages have everything needed for it.

  No.32870

I use newsbeuter as well.The only problem I have with it is that rss feeds that don't have dates or don't handle them well have all their entries in the same current day which fuarrrks up my rss group. How did you guys get around this ?

  No.32877

>>32845
I use sparseRSS on my phone to follow various news and tech sites. It's very simple but like he >>32868 said it doesn't lack important features.
Anyway I really hate how some sites (like ars technica or phoronix for example) only send the summary or the first few paragraphs of an article instead of the whole thing.

<mini-rant>
I also used to follow some kind of bulletin boards my uni made so that you could "subscribe" to some professor's feed and receive important communications, but apparently everyone failed to understand its convenience and I often came to follow some lecture only to find a message written in chalk on the blackboard about it being postponed or canceled.
</mini-rant>

  No.32905

Thunderbird + TorBirdy

  No.32906

I know this isn't for everyone, but I host selfoss on my home server

  No.32918

I'm not big on webapps, but Newsblur is a rare exception.

  No.33023

Pretty sure macos is verboten but I think Reeder 3 is the best.

  No.33042

Everyone seems to have their own reader of choice, but if you're an Emacs user I suggest checking out elfeed. It's by far the best reader I've used when it comes to organising feeds and gives me exactly the view I want; text and images with no other fluff.

  No.33051

I host TinyTiny RSS on a VPS then just connect via the web browser.

  No.33089

File: 1483374163722.png (2.77 MB, 200x134, 1478671521361.gif)

>>33051
I do this as well, it's comfy as soykaf

  No.33090

TinyTiny RSS so it can constantly grab news articles 24/7, and for clients I use the Android app by the same dev, or you can use Newsbeuter with it. Wallabag is also really useful to store articles you want to read later, and the Android app now has offline sync capability.

  No.33092

>>33051
>>33090
Wish my rpi was fast enough to run TTRSS, sadly it's the pisspoor original 256mb model. Early adopter's pain I guess

  No.33138

I use Thunderbird with this bash script as "default web browser" so when I click on youtube link, it goes to mpv

#!/bin/bash

URL=$1

killmpv() {
if ps -A | grep "mpv"; then
killall mpv
fi
}

case $URL in
*youtube.com*|*youtu.be*)
killmpv && \
mpv --ytdl-format=22 --ontop --no-border --geometry=328x185-18-48 '$URL'
;;
*)
xdg-open "$URL"
;;
esac

  No.33179

>>33042

Second this. Also, it is easy to add bindings that open links in e.g., mpv directly from the overview tab, which is nice for youtube videos or video podcasts.

  No.33180

No one mentioned rsstail? All nice and CLI only.

  No.33186

>>33092
Are you poor or something? Buy a new one lol.
Also, you should keep your current one in a antistatic bag inside a nondescript cardboard box. It will we worth a lot of credits to collectors in a few years.

  No.33202

>>33186
Not him, just spreading some Lainchan culture.
>Are you poor or something? Buy a new one lol.
You are not in 4/8ch buddy, better realize that quickly. This site caters to a huge range of people, and you could be talking to a normal guy who just has better things to spend his money into, a neckbeard waiting for his neetbux or a guy in a piss poor 3rd world country.
In my situation, a RPI 2 costs ~90% of my monthly salary, so yeah, there's people in this site who can't just
>Buy a new one lol.

Polite sage.

  No.33223

>>33202
>Raspberry PI early adopter
>a guy in a piss poor 3rd world country.
Yeah, nah
>You are not in 4/8ch buddy, better realize that quickly. This site caters to a huge range of people,
And 4/8ch don't? How do they enforce it?

Also, you speak English competently enough, as far as I can guess from your writing, and can into computer. So why haven't you moved out already?

For the rest of the world, a RPi is almost disposable. Three movie tickets, or going without the daily coffee cup from a coffee shop for a month. Selling a few unwanted things. Hell, I used to charge more for reinstalling Windows or cracking a WiFi password when I was a kid. The cheapest android tablets cost twice as much.

  No.33226

>>33223
in places like Morrocco shipping is a bitch.

Also stop harassing people for no reason.

  No.33252

>>33223
I see no harassing.
Stop nіggnоgіn you fuсking jоо.

  No.33644

>>32854
for starting out you can export your youtube subscriptions to XML and then OPML and directly Import it into your reader.
>>33138
this is even better, thank you.

  No.33648

I used to use FeedDemon, then switched to Google Reader so I could sync across devices, then switched to Feedly when that shut down. These days I get most of my blogpost links from reddit or twitter, and the RSS feed goes unread.

  No.33649

>>33644
>for starting out you can export your youtube subscriptions to XML and then OPML and directly Import it into your reader.
I have a wonky Python snippet for this very purpose :

#!/usr/bin/python3

import re
import sys
import urllib.request

url = sys.argv[1]

youtube = 'www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id='

def craft_rss(url):
req = urllib.request.urlopen(url)
rss = re.findall('\(\'CHANNEL_ID\', \"(.*)\"\)', req.read().decode('utf-8'))
return (youtube + rss[0])

def extract_rss(url):
req = urllib.request.urlopen(url)
rss = re.findall('<link.*title="RSS".*href="(.*)">', req.read().decode('utf-8'))
return rss

print(craft_rss(url))

  No.34059

feel like twitter is better than rss anymore unfortunately. One tends to miss bright individuals who post on twitter and it feels much more curated. Sure I could subscribe to my twitter list on rss but it isn't very practical to go in and add users.

  No.34063

>>34059
I thought about it but can't be bothered to make an account.

What information does twitter demand when registering?

  No.34102

>>34063
just an email and forge-able personal info iirc. can access it over tor / proxy / vpn

  No.34697

>>32845
newsbeuter if you like curses apps! I used to use it a lot, it's good

  No.34699

>>32845
I remember RSS was big like ten years ago, how is it today?
Maybe I could get back to RSS as well.

  No.34705

Honestly, after leaving social media behind, RSS feeds have been so incredibly useful to me.

I was surprised how common it was when I first started using them, and now I always check for a feed. Now I get the info and media that I want instead of scrolling through endless ad-filled bullsoykaf. Leaves me tons more time to actually do stuff that matters.

Probably one of the best decisions I've made recently.

  No.34706

I use Emacs + Elfeed and I have no complaints. It can open podcasts in mingus (mpd wrapper on emacs) and it shows inline webcomics

  No.34714

Why don't you write a scraper for websites? It's one of the most amazing things I've ever programmed. Whenever I find a site I like, I reverse engineer its structure and javascript and make my scraper pull info from it for me. It's amazing how much better it is than browsing

  No.34715

>>34714
What language do you use?

  No.34716

>>34715
If you're asking because you want to do the same thing just use whatever language you like anon. Every serious language can download documents from the web and parse its content.

  No.34717

>>34716
No, I just count language popularity among anons.

  No.34719

File: 1487419405813.png (94.43 KB, 200x200, 1457291146717-1.jpg)

>>33042
>>34706

Elfeed's dev writes he wanted notmuch for feeds. And I wonder why can't you just use notmuch or mu with rss2email instead of elfeed then.

The only cons I see right away is pictures are going to be displayed at the bottom, but that can be fixed with a bit of elisp, I think.

The pros are great, though. You'd get xapian indexing and uniform interface for mailing lists and feeds, forwarding articles to friends and all that normal e-mail stuff.

Seems like a better plan to me.

  No.34727

>>32856
For a dedicated reader, you could try RSSOwl: http://www.rssowl.org/
Also, Firefox by default supports RSS feeds - it calls them "active bookmarks". There are also addons for Chrome and Firefox that add nice menu-based feed readers to the browser.

  No.34870

Beyond the reader, I want to recommend highly yahoo pipes. Basically gives you a codeblocks interface for manipulating and merging multiple RSS feeds. I used this once to extract URLs from any tweets posted with #anonymous, then post them to my facebook wall. Let's just say that account got derezzed for about 6 months. You could do this with python too, I suppose.

Apparently, yahoo pipes shut down over a year ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  No.34918

>>32859
>>32858
I use Bamboo with Thunderbird. Its pretty great and I honestly havent had any problems with it

  No.34957

What is lainchan's take on aggregate services like feedly?
I signed up with a disposable email and was good to go. I now have three currated feeds (news/articles, tech/science, podcasts) on my startpage. The interface is pretty nice, too.

Otherwise I use newsbeuter, but feedly is nice for cross platform/in-browser reading. (I'm not yet at the level of programming to write my own RSS scraper, but it's an eventual goal.)

  No.35090

File: 1488370635763.png (14.63 KB, 200x140, 1486272757988.jpg)

>>33223
Your attitude is completely unacceptable, stop being hostile for no reason.

even in the first world there are plenty of people with a fixed income, and there are even some people who have to spend their income on designated items such as food and shelter, and are allotted only enough for such activities.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you should be more understanding of other people's situations.

  No.35405

>>32854
>I copy the URL from the RSS feed into mpv
You could just use the add-on "Open With" to save you time.

  No.35452

Anyone knows how to create RSS feeds out of Twitter users/lists?

That's the only thing keeping me from deleting my Twitter account.

  No.35468

>>35452
If you get a (free) twitter api key it's quite easy to get tweets from their API.
Coding a tweeter to RSS gateway should be straightforward:

Here is an example of twitter -> twtxt gateway
https://github.com/trqx/twgwtxt/blob/master/index.js

  No.35470

>>35452
The easy way is https://twitrss.me/

Though I'm assuming it won't work for private accounts.

  No.35542

>>34727
RSSowl is abandoned, it's closest replacement is QuiteRSS, but it is like kicking dead whales down the beach only slightly less than RSSOwl. tbh the only decent reader I ever found was Newsbeuter

  No.35543

>>35542
what the actual fuarrrk is that word filter